Flood Planning for Businesses
Blowing winds and flooding are expected in Indiana, PA, where your business is located. What actions do you take to avoid flood damage before and during the storm? What steps do you take afterwards?
Before a Flood
Sometimes, flooding can occur with little to no warning. Be prepared ahead of time so you can take action quickly when a flood is imminent:
• Review your commercial property insurance information. Often, flood damage is not covered unless separate flood insurance is added to the policy.
• Prepare a flood plan for your business. Include important contact information and procedures to keep staff safe. Record plans to secure the property and protect the contents.
• Train your staff on flood plan and evacuation procedures. Review regularly and update the plan as needed.
During a Flood
Act fast to avoid significant flood damage in a storm. Follow your flood plan to ensure the safety of your employees. Do the following to protect the contents of your business:
• Move important contents above ground level, either to an upper level of the building or to a different location. This includes furniture, electrical equipment and files.
• Use sandbags and plastic sheeting to block flood waters around doors and windows. Use wood to board up openings.
After a Flood
Once the flood waters have settled and your staff is safe, take stock of the storm damage. To avoid secondary problems, immediately make plans for cleanup and repair:
• Contact your commercial property insurance agent.
• Arrange for a water restoration company to assess the storm damage and begin the repair process.
When a storm hits in Indiana, PA, sometimes flooding is unavoidable. By planning ahead, you can keep your employees safe, and reduce the risk of damage to your commercial property and its contents. Knowing the steps to take after a flood are just as important so you can return your business to pre-flood condition as soon as possible. For more information, visit http://www.SERVPROindianacounty.com/.